Regular price: $22.67
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for $22.67
Brandon Sanderson has once again crafted an excellent tale of suspense, mystery, and intrigue. This was only supplemented by the skilled voice acting of Michael Kramer. The only crime of this book is the short (10 hour) length!
1. Exceptionally detailed world that you can vividly imagine.
2. Dynamic characters brought to life by the voice acting.
3. Deeply engaging elements of religion, history, and human perception.
4. A compelling threat to Joel and a great villain.
5. An unforeseen twist that goes against your post-Harry Potter expectations.
1. Just over 10 hours in length leaving the end feeling slightly rushed.
2. Untied strings of plot were left unexplained. I can only hope this means that a sequel is imminent.
3. The use of chalk as a main component of the story.
To summarize; this book is fantastic and worth the cost of admission. But prepare yourself for the ending and having to possibly wait for the conclusion of story.
43 of 44 people found this review helpful
I don't know why, but I didn't expect great things from this book. The magic system seemed, quite frankly, a little silly. And it was a YA novel. Granted, I really like YA sf, but Brandon Sanderson doing it? It just seemed odd. But he does a phenomenal job with it. Great, quick paced, page-turning story. Michael Kramer narrates beautifully. You can tell it is written for young adults, but that doesn't mean he dumbed down his writing or over-simplified anything. It is still excellent fantasy. I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes sf, or just good writing in general.
27 of 28 people found this review helpful
Was this a book you wanted to listen to all in one sitting?
Any additional comments?
Listened to this while on a Sanderson-Kramer binge. The two (or perhaps three, with Robert Jordan in the mix, or four because the duets with Kate are just as good) were made for each other. A lighter story than my favourite Sanderson novels, but still one of my favourites.