Regular price: $19.95
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for $19.95
Summary: A small kingdom hosts a tournament to draw people together and marry off its princess.
- The narrator does a nice job with the reading. Most voices are distinct, though many of the male characters sound similar. The recording itself has a few of those natural pops that are crazy hard to get rid of, but I don't mind too much.
- Pippa (3/5 stars) - the main character is occasionally really annoying.
- side characters (4/5 stars) - fairly well developed
- Bad guy (3/5 stars) - tiresomely "evil"
- Star-crossed lovers thing - was predictable but fitting
- Ending (3.5/5 stars) - Everything works out as one would expect, no great surprises.
- tournament fights are described decently well
- side plots were sometimes more interesting than the main plot
- I think I would have stopped reading about midway through if it were just the book, but the narration adds a nice layer to it.
Conclusion: It's the sort of story many people will feel they've heard a hundred times before. The fantasy elements are minimal at best, so if you're looking for magic and mystery, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a sweet YA romance you know's gonna work out in the end, go for it.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful
This is a great story; however, I enjoyed reading the book more than listening to it--mostly because of the narrator's voice. The narrator sounded like she was trying to be syrupy sweet and breathy which is not at all how I feel Pippa was characterized in the story. I hope the author has an opportunity to select a different narrator for her future books; one whose voice better fits the personality and character of the stories' lead. The book however is awesome!