Regular price: $16.77
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for $16.77
Not a book for simple people , I got nothing out of this book even though I tried really hard to understand.
Would you listen to The Teenage Brain again? Why?
A must-read book for brain info junkies. Here's why...
- This is a very interesting book for people with a fascination about the detailed working of the teenage brain. Packed full of really interesting neurological stuff!
- Different areas of the brain are covered in some detail but without the inaccessible medical language that makes some books unreadable to the lay person. Clear and well written.
- There is a logical order to the book which reads like a natural progression of chapters, each leading to the next.
- There are chapters specific to certain issues that teenagers face - like use of alcohol and drug use - these are enlightening (I'll go back and look at these again in more depth as the need arises)!
- A detailed analysis of the interface between brain science and the criminal justice system is given, raising ethical questions for sentencing (U.S. context).
- Despite the thorough nature of the content from a scientific and medical point of view, there is precious little by way of practical help. It's less of a survival guide (see the subtitle) and more of a reference/information guide to the workings of the brain itself.
- The book is written by an American so this needs to be born in mind by UK and other readers as the illustrations, historical references and criminal justice system referred to are all U.S. focussed.
- Many of the examples are of high-flying young people - phrases like "star student," "Grade "A" pupil" and "Harvard student" abound and dilute the impact of otherwise useful illustrations.
- There are woeful inaccuracies about the U.K. educational system. The most glaring of which is the belief that the 11-plus exam still determines the secondary education of U.K. children.
- No treatment of the impact of developmental trauma or poor attachment on development.
Not for those looking for practical "how to" solutions. Technical and accessible. A definite for those working with troubled young people - or those parents who want more info on the inner-workings of the teen/s they love!
5 of 5 people found this review helpful
Excellent source of information for all parents of teenagers. I'm glad I read it.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful
a must read for all parents preferably before teenage years but also very beneficial during! a real wealth of knowledge and data. highly recommended