Regular price: $23.07
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for $23.07
Interesting plot, dated and simplistic writing. This book reads like it was written in the 1950s not 2013. Think Ring World. I like cute women as much as the next guy, but despite a token effort to include women with actual roles, all female characters remained undeveloped sex object accessories to the end. Every description it women was about their attractiveness. Also unmalicious use of national stereotypes occurred at multiple points. I thought this was supposed to be an adult book, but I think it would be suitable for 12 year olds. It wasn't without merit, I got to the end and was happy to read, but no masterpiece at all I'm afraid.
8 of 8 people found this review helpful
This book has a message that I agree with but it felt really heavy handed in its delivery. I felt like I was being brow beaten for quite a bit of the listen. The characters seemed somewhat flat and occasionally annoying and the story felt rushed. For example, The main character who arrives on a new planet, finds the perfect woman and they area happily a couple by day #2 !? I mean.. come on, even Kirk didn't work this fast!. :) There should have been more of a buildup and some more time given to the characters to make you feel anything for them.There are a couple scientists that are so hardheaded when the "truth" starts to be revealed that I find them unbelievable and their conversion happens in the speed of turning on a lightbulb. Theres a secondary distracting storyline that takes place on or near earth thats dont really contribute to the plot, and felt should have been left out for the most part. The performance was done very well I just wish he had better material to read.
12 of 13 people found this review helpful
What did you like best about New Earth? What did you like least?
Story trajectory was good, entertaining enough. But overall this book just did not agree with me.
There were a few points that I'm afraid I have to criticise.
- The dialogue was repetitious. Without apparent purpose, the same statments or exchanges were made by the same characters sometimes more than twice - I hadn't forgotten the previous time it was said on any occasion (and my memory can be pretty crap). A very odd decision by the author.
- Some dialogue was unbelievable, and some characters very shallow and/or stereotypical (I've never known an irishman to really go around talking about leprechauns and potatoes without a heavy dose of irony).
- Some mistakes with the science... I come to sci-fi to have my imagination supplied by 'what-if's - I can't do this if mistakes are made.
- Some things left unexplained both in terms of questions unanswered and not introducing us to the world he has created - characters far too nonchalant about discoveries for reasons undisclosed.
- And finally on that score, I didn't find the author's imagination sufficiently adventurous. To be honest I think these days with so many ideas having been written, you need a very good one, an unusual idea or a particularly complete and well-expressed idea for it to be worth adding your book to the masses of Sci-Fi. For me, this didn't have that great idea. It was an entertaining book, but I would class it as Science Fantasy rather than Science Fiction.
Would you ever listen to anything by Ben Bova again?
I think Ben and I disagree about what Sci Fi should be like.
Have you listened to any of Stefan Rudnicki’s other performances? How does this one compare?
You don't want to hear him do an irish accent, apart from that he's good.
If this book were a film would you go see it?
No, it already reads like a bad sci-fi film - no idea to strenuous or character too deep.
Any additional comments?
Sorry Ben, I hope others enjoy it more than I.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful
This is a decent enough production with some interesting ideas. It never really grabbed me but as others have also mentioned I found it hard to empathise with the characters and I did find the pace fairly slow. It is well narrated and certainly wasn't a waste of money but it won't go down as one of my favourites.
4 of 4 people found this review helpful