Regular price: $28.51
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for $28.51
Would you consider the audio edition of The Scottish Duke to be better than the print version?
I did not read the book, but with Tim Campbell's narration I would say the audio version would be better.
What did you like best about this story?
Everything, it held my attention from beginning to end.
What about Tim Campbell’s performance did you like?
Not only does he have a pleasing voice, but he has the ability to match just the right voice for each character bringing them to life in the minds-eye of the listener.
Did you have an extreme reaction to this book? Did it make you laugh or cry?
No extremes but came close to tears a couple of times.
Any additional comments?
The story is not a new one; that of a besotted admirer hiding their identity at a Masquerade Ball to have the forbidden object of their affection. The difference is how the very talented Karen Ranney penned this story making it seem original. The way she told the story made it uniquely hers. It has all the elements that make a great book. I will certainly look for more books from this author.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful
I am so behind in reading/listening one of my favorite authors. This is a first story in the Duke Trilogy series and I loved it a lot. I really enjoy when the characters, plot and pace align so well that I just hate to leave the world in which my heroes and heroines reside. That's exactly what happened as I neared the end of this story.
As luck would have it, and because I am way behind in my reviewing duties, I happened to have all three books in this series on my Kindle and I will read and review them in order. I also got the first two in audio, but the third one hasn't shown up in audio yet, and if it does, I'll be ready for it.
Karen Ranney is an author I respect greatly (although there are a couple of books she should not have written at all) and out of all the books I've read, 95% of them I loved to no end. The remaining 5% I'll tell you about some other time ;)
Besides the wonderful, well written and rounded main characters, I enjoyed the prose as well as the undeniable chemistry between the two.
"She loved a storm. She loved being out in it, regardless of the danger. She would sometimes tilt her head back to feel the rain baptizing her face. In those moments, she was as elemental as the first woman. Yet she'd never felt like she did right now."
*** *** ***
"Need could be regulated. Cravings could be mastered. Except this one.
He craved seeing Lorna like he sometimes wanted a few of cook's raisin scones or the peat smokiness of a good whiskey. No, more than that. She was a lungful of fresh air, a glass of sparkling water. She was sunshine and growing flowers, laughter and hope. She was all those things necessary to his life and important in it.
When had that happened?
The force of what he felt was petrifying.
He might as well surrender now. Fighting it any longer was futile."
*** *** ***
"She reminded him that he was a man first, then a man of science, duke, property holder, and all the other attendant roles of his position. She taught him that being a father was not passing on lessons as much as accepting and giving love.
The thought struck him with the force of a blow: she was going to make him feel."
The secondary characters were just as fun to read and even though the villain is predictable, I enjoyed when the comeuppance was doled out.
The narration of Tim Campbell was superb! He nailed every accent and character. I'll be looking for more books with his narration.
I'm looking forward to the next two stories in this series and hope all are as good as this one was.
Melanie for b2b