Author of the beloved Half-Moon Hollow series of vampire romances (Nice Girls Don’t Have Fangs), Molly Harper has created a standalone paranormal romance in which a dilapidated haunted house could bring star-crossed lovers together - if it doesn’t kill them first!
When Nina Linden is hired to landscape a private island off the New England coast, she sees it as her chance to rebuild her failing business after being cheated by her unscrupulous ex. She never expects that her new client, software mogul Deacon Whitney, would see more in her than just a talented gardener. Deacon has paid top dollar to the crews he’s hired to renovate the desolate Whitney estate - he had to, because the bumps, thumps, and unexplained sightings of ghostly figures in 19th-century dress are driving workers away faster than he can say “Boo.”
But Nina shows no signs of being scared away, even as she experiences some unnerving apparitions herself. And as the two of them work closely together to restore the mansion’s faded glory, Deacon realizes that he’s found someone who doesn’t seem to like his fortune more than himself - while Nina may have finally found the one man she can trust with her bruised and battered heart.
But something on the island doesn’t believe in true love…and if Nina and Deacon can’t figure out how to put these angry spirits to rest, their own love doesn’t stand a ghost of a chance.
We've sent an email with your order details. Order ID #:
To access this title, visit your library in the app or on the desktop website.
Would I let (ok, want) my daughter to marry a ...
Harper offered up a simple, entertaining tale that
• Better Homes and Hauntings is a standalone paranormal romance filled with humor, a benevolent spirit and diverse group of people working to restore an old family mansion.
• The setting is fantastic. The home is on an island surrounded by water and reached by boat. The house built in the early 1900’s has secret nooks, a ballroom and tons of atmosphere perfect for spirits.
• The cast is very diverse from the tech geek to the gardener creating for entertaining meals, feuds and friendships. We get multiple Pov’s, and the narrator did an excellent job of bringing forth their personalities which added to the listener’s enjoyment. I loved the banter, late night girls’ talk, the bickering and of course, the romances that developed.
• Ghosts, old family legends, murder and more made Better Homes and Hauntings interesting. I loved the old family tragedy, the hauntings and the slow build as the entities’ anger escalated. Back-stories and threats from Nina’s past had me fully engaged.
• The romances were very different. Nina and Deacon’s romance so cute, sweet, awkward and funny. Cindy and Jack had history and theirs was a haters to lovers’ romance that made for a hilarious listen.
• Amanda Ronconi did an excellent job narrating and quickly gave a unique voice to each character making the transition from each character seamless. The humor and hauntings were enhanced by her skill set.
• While we get a few creep-tastic moments, for the most part this is a G haunting, and I would have loved darker tones.
• The tale is predictable, and moments lagged a little, but overall this was entertaining.
• A little something was missing, and I cannot quite figure out exactly what I needed. Perhaps because no aspect of the tale was the main focus, and multiple POVs left me wanting more depth.