Regular price: $19.95
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for $19.95
"What she said." I quite agree with the reviewers who love Molly Harper's books but didn't enjoy this one (as much). What can I add from my perspective as a guy?
Her books about vampires and werewolves and other creatures make me believe - well, willingly suspend disbelief - about them. She got me to enjoy a genre, paranormal, I loathed. Why? Snarky, odd-ball, topical, refreshingly original humor, characters with stories and romance without too much 'tall, dark and handsome.' And a plot. Plots.
Here is the difference with Better Hauntings: I don't want to know anything more about ghosts. I still disbelieve and did throughout. Each of Ms. Harper's other books made me ask this question of myself: If the world had ... vampires ... werebeasties ... fae ... would I want to be one? Fall in love with one? [Let my daughter marry one?] Yes to all questions. None of those questions has any meaning for me if the subject is ghosts.
Please: Don't dis my review because you think the cliché quote means I think women are some how less than men. I don't and I have many years of staying home raising kids to back it.
48 of 51 people found this review helpful
Any additional comments?
• Better Homes and Hauntings is a standalone paranormal romance filled with humor, a benevolent spirit and diverse group of people working to restore an old family mansion.
• The setting is fantastic. The home is on an island surrounded by water and reached by boat. The house built in the early 1900’s has secret nooks, a ballroom and tons of atmosphere perfect for spirits.
• The cast is very diverse from the tech geek to the gardener creating for entertaining meals, feuds and friendships. We get multiple Pov’s, and the narrator did an excellent job of bringing forth their personalities which added to the listener’s enjoyment. I loved the banter, late night girls’ talk, the bickering and of course, the romances that developed.
• Ghosts, old family legends, murder and more made Better Homes and Hauntings interesting. I loved the old family tragedy, the hauntings and the slow build as the entities’ anger escalated. Back-stories and threats from Nina’s past had me fully engaged.
• The romances were very different. Nina and Deacon’s romance so cute, sweet, awkward and funny. Cindy and Jack had history and theirs was a haters to lovers’ romance that made for a hilarious listen.
• Amanda Ronconi did an excellent job narrating and quickly gave a unique voice to each character making the transition from each character seamless. The humor and hauntings were enhanced by her skill set.
• While we get a few creep-tastic moments, for the most part this is a G haunting, and I would have loved darker tones.
• The tale is predictable, and moments lagged a little, but overall this was entertaining.
• A little something was missing, and I cannot quite figure out exactly what I needed. Perhaps because no aspect of the tale was the main focus, and multiple POVs left me wanting more depth.
10 of 10 people found this review helpful
Where does Better Homes and Hauntings rank among all the audiobooks you’ve listened to so far?
This is a light hearted read of a ghost story.
What did you like best about this story?
The characters are a lot of fun and their relationships grow during the book. It's part a romance, part a ghost story, part the story of a group of characters pulled together by circumstance.
Which character – as performed by Amanda Ronconi – was your favourite?
Dotty was my favourite character. I saw a review that said they didn't like Amanda's style but I enjoyed it's light character that contrasted well especially when the ghostly happenings start.
Did you have an emotional reaction to this book? Did it make you laugh or cry?
This made me laugh.
Any additional comments?
Worth a go.
2 of 2 people found this review helpful
Would you consider the audio edition of Better Homes and Hauntings to be better than the print version?
Yes cause I have dyslexia and it better for me to have it read to me so I don't stuck and I enjoy it being read to me .
What other book might you compare Better Homes and Hauntings to, and why?
Tall dark,and dead but not as good as this one but good to .
Have you listened to any of Amanda Ronconi’s other performances? How does this one compare?
Yes in Tate hallway books that why I like them to she good narrater .
Was this a book you wanted to listen to all in one sitting?
Yes did it in one day .
Any additional comments?
Love all Molly harper book and love Amanda ronconi's reading them so worth buying.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful
Wonderful book. Funny and spooky. Molly always makes me laugh. And Amanda's voice made for easy listening.
Another great story from Molly Harper written in her usual funny, quirky supremely enjoyable style. I've never read/listened to a book from Molly Harper that I haven't wanted to start all over again when it's done. They just make you feel good and this one is no exception, plus it's wonderfully performed by Amanda Ronconi. If I'm being really honest, I buy these books as much for Molly's stories as for Amanda's wonderful style of reading and bringing the story to life.
Buy it, buy them all, you won't regret it! :D