Regular price: $26.59
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for $26.59
I enjoyed this quietly satisfying mystery (and the next 3 books in this engaging series) for multiple reasons.
!. Location: small coastal town in the amazing state of Maine
2. Setting: a re-purpose/thrift shop where owner Sarah and her staff & friends repair,
recycle and resell unwanted items - good business and good for the planet.
3. Main character: Sarah is a strong, independent woman; not whining over past disappointments, not waiting for a man to make her happy.
4. An eclectic cast of supporting characters, mostly over the age of 30. (I chuckled when another reviewer suggested that "boring older people" should not be featured fiction).
5. PG rated: very little cursing, violence or sexual situations. I believe many recent novels are needlessly crude and degrading; all shock value but no substance.
6. Excellent narration and a unique feline pet. Even though I am a dog person, I like how Elvis has such a distinct, sometimes humorous personality.
I would highly recommend this book and the entire series to mature, discriminating readers.
23 of 24 people found this review helpful
This was an entertaining story, good character development and with an intelligent twist. The narrator is what almost put me off. I was frustrated because the character voices were often indistinguishable and the narrator initially felt forced and a bit over-dramatic in the reading. I kept with it, though and it finally began to flow and my irritation with the narrator abated. As I listened I began to hear the nuances in the voices - I still could not independently recognize the differences in some of the character voices, but the narrator did a better job of reading the "said __" attributions so it began to develop its own rhythm and I was able to get past the irritations. I liked the writing style and character development enough that I am continuing on in the series - despite the narrator.
7 of 7 people found this review helpful