The Lupane Legacy : Denham and Karr

  • by Darby G. Holladay
  • Narrated by Paul Heitsch
  • Series: Denham and Karr
  • 8 hrs and 28 mins
  • Unabridged Audiobook

Publisher's Summary

Ghosts of a Revolution . . .
Patrick Khumalo was only five when his entire village was massacred before his eyes. For twenty-nine years the desire for justice has burned inside him . . . but now it's lit a fuse.
The Lupane Legacy is a story of tangled family ties, of love, betrayal, and revenge. From the halls of power and intrigue in Washington, DC, to the dark secrets of postcolonial Africa, this international thriller will pull you into a world where nothing is black and white, and everyone has something to hide.

More

What the Critics Say

"Engrossing.... A recommendation for even the most seasoned thriller reader." (Diane Donovan, Midwest Book Review)

More

See More Like This

Customer Reviews

Most Helpful

Vivid Storytelling

This book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review and I’m very glad I jumped on the change to get it. The book is listed as a thriller but I’m not sure it’s true in the traditional sense. If you’re looking for non-stop action and fight scenes this probably isn’t your book. In “The Lupane Legacy” the author builds intrigue throughout the book only to bring it to a crescendo near the end.

What the author does really well is telling the story so thoroughly that it makes the reader feel as if they are actually there. He is able to describe the scenery and surroundings vividly without clichés. In addition he gives great background on the characters in a succinct way so that you know there history and what they’re thinking, without it being too long winded and boring. This really brings the story to life and is right up there with some of the best story telling out there.

Mr. Heitsch does a great job will all of the accents and characters. His narration is well done and well timed which really helps bring the story and characters to life!
Read full review

- Drew (@drewsant)

Enjoyable, easy & realistic politics/spy thriller

Darby Holladay has created a pleasant, nicely paced thriller, with characters that feel realistic, fleshed out and approachable. The locations feel well researched, the motivations completely believable, and the resolution satisfying.

I confess, I was a bit lost at times by some assumed ability on the reader/listener's part to associate with elements of upper middle class DC beltway life (honestly, like I know what a specific golf hole on a specific course is sufficiently to get a metaphor?) ... but having a number of friends who work in the same area and with similar kinds of people, I particularly appreciated the more real world feel of people who are, in essence, spies.

CIA conference rooms that haven't been updated since the 80's, office football bets, and small scale practical jokes are far more real to me than descriptions of Jason Bourne esque super computers and high powered spy agencies. When coupled with goals I can understand and very human desires? Even better. As an acquaintance once said "Listen.. 90% of my job (that I can't tell you about) is just boring office crap... and the other 10% is only marginally better"

The core plot did catch me off guard, I was expecting one thing and got another, tho I wouldn't have complained about an additional twist or two. I also liked that Holladay has created a world with military personnel, that does not simply devolve into endless gun porn.

I get it, it's a shotgun. Good. Move on.

I don't care about the details of this particular Mossberg, and how the autoload feature has been updated to work with the new XYZ spec Russian blah blah blah. MOVE ON ALREADY. I would guess Holladay has a similar response, because there were a number of cases where the narrative flipped the metaphorical bird to convention, and still got the details right. "Their guns didn't have silencers" because why the hell would they?

The narration is ably navigated by accomplished voice talent Paul Heitsch, who largely got out of the way of this one and let the story get on with itself. Accents were good, and subtly delivered, his pacing was excellent, and his diction is always rather impeccable. He and I pronounce "foyer" differently... but that is neither here nor there. ;)

The story is solid, and fun... nothing that needed a narrator to go above and beyond just help it get off the ground, and he lets this one use it's own wings... giving the impression that he's standing at our elbow and providing insightful commentary more than leading us with a flourish.

"The Lupane Legacy" gets a solid 4 from me. It wasn't a "HOLY COW!" that I'll listen to over and over, but I can honestly give it my most solid support, and my now comfortable endorsement: "Yep, I'd totally spend money on this one."

{Copy provided free in exchange for a review}
Read full review

- Gregory

Book Details

  • Release Date: 01-14-2015
  • Publisher: Manor Minor Press