Regular price: $25.87
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for $25.87
With a stone-cold killer locked in relentless pursuit, Suzanne and Hood continue their desperate dance around the secrets that brought them together, unsure whether each new dawn may signal the day their lies catch up with them.
"Both pairs - Ericksen and Colacci as well as the two lead characters - blend perfectly in this taut thriller about love, greed, and redemption." ( AudioFile)
Customer ReviewsMost Helpful
By bonnie on 10-18-08
Disappointing on too many levels
Prior to listening to LA Outlaws I was a T. Jefferson Parker fan. Both the book and the production were disappointing .. here are a few reasons why:
1. The story is scattered and weak. The author uses a shotgun to make too many points. He is firing at a distance, so he only barely hits most of the targets. He often digressed from the story and ranted about all the little things for which he has never had a proper forum, and each digression detracted more and more from the storyline.
2. In the first few hours I figured out one of the main "bad guys" and it was so obvious that I kept thinking "surely it's a trick; the story will be better than that." Nope.
3. As badly as I wanted to empathize with the characters, it just didn't happen. Oh, there were a few sparks .. but then they were quickly extinguished. Particular with the main character, the author worked hard at showing her "good side" versus her "bad side" in a totally black and white manner as make her schizophrenic .. and yet we are to believe she is an award winning high school teacher.
4. The production stinks. The male reader's voice does not fit most of the characters. The use of the two voices in opposition to each other and some sound effects somehow doesn't work. It seemed like an attempt of using gimmicks to take my mind off the point: weak story.
5. This book was an affront to me as a discerning reader and Audible listener. It's been a few years since I listened to some marvelous works by this author. Throughout this production I kept thinking that friends or family members or an agent convinced him to bring it to Audible because we wouldn't know how bad it was and it would sell based on his name. It did ... and I'm sad and angry at the deception.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful
By Andrew on 01-08-09
Save your money and/or credit
I was unable to get past the first forty minutes or so of this book due to my strong aversion to this narrator. I was unable to keep going even though I gave it two attempts. It seemed to me as if the narrator should have been a male as the "voice" I heard from the sections of the book I was able to get through was not a feminine one. Just my opinion and not meant to be an attack on this person.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful