Regular price: $32.20
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for $32.20
This is a 2014/2015 Sunshine State Reader which I downloaded to listen to with my daughter. I have listened to almost a 100 audio books with my daughter and we almost never disagree on a book, but this one we did. She really enjoyed it and I did not. If it weren't for the fact that she was enjoying it I would have never finished listening to it. It was slow and tedious for me.
I thought that the characters made stupid decision after stupid decision and they were idiotic (with the exception of the trolls). I found the lack of any real communication between characters frustrating and unrealistic. I felt that crucial information wasn't disseminated between characters in an attempt to move the plot in the direction the author wanted to go, not because real characters would actually behave that way.
My main problems with the story are:
1. The grandmother withheld critical information from her grandson that would be crucial for his survival.
2. His friend knew more about his past then he did and never shared this information with him until it was too late. She preferred to chastise him then to give him information that may be helpful.
3. The miller's daughter was unusually dumb and dim witted. I don't appreciate stories with characters that are so dumb that they are unbelievable.
4. Almost all the characters in the book are unlikable. Even Rump I had a hard time getting behind when he kept making stupid decisions.
With all that being said, the things that my daughter enjoyed about the book:
1. She really liked Rump and Red,
2. She liked that he found his name in the end,
3. She liked the trolls, and
4. She liked the re-telling and different perspective of an old story.
6 of 6 people found this review helpful
I suggest this book. I though it was an amazing book and it was like a rollercoaster.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful