A History of Iran
- Empire of the Mind
- Narrated by: Peter Ganim
- Length: 13 hrs and 19 mins
- Unabridged Audiobook
- Release date: 04-16-14
- Language: English
- Publisher: Audible Studios
Regular price: $24.95
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for $24.95
Customer ReviewsMost Helpful
By Arya Pourtabatabaie on 11-05-16
It's a 4 star book. Narration was great as far as voice acting is concerned, but the narrator kept on unnecessarily and even pretentiously trying to pull off an "authentic" pronunciation when uttering an Iranian word or name, while having no idea what the Persian language sounds like. I'll go over a few of the many:
1) He insistently over-pronounced every 'h' consonant as in an Arabic 'hard h', while anyone having picked up a rudimentary sense of Persian phonetics from having heard a conversation or two would know that it doesn't have a hard h.
2) The familiar French loan word "montage" (pronounced "montaazh" in Persian) was pronounced "montazeh", obviously confusing the 'zh' consonant with a distinct 'z' and 'h'.
3) Even recently prominent proper names (like "Ahmadinejad") regularly featured in the news were mispronounced.
This is not a librivox recording that you'd do for free as a hobby. You are paid for this and should act professionally and responsibly. Put in some effort, do your homework.
9 of 9 people found this review helpful