The Great Detective Collection
- 24 of the Best Classic Detective Stories
- Narrated by: Cathy Dobson
- Length: 20 hrs and 59 mins
- Unabridged Audiobook
- Release date: 04-27-15
- Language: English
- Publisher: Red Door Audiobooks
Regular price: $82.63
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for $82.63
1. "The Tea-Leaf" by Edgar Jepson & Robert Eustace
2. "The Queer Feet" by G. K. Chesterton
3. "The Curious Circumstances of the Two Left Shoes" by Ernest Bramah
4. "The Club of One-Eyed Men" by Arthur Somers Roche
5. "Diamond Cut Diamond" by F. Britten Austin
6. "The Game Played in the Dark" by Ernest Bramah
7. "Murder Under the Microscope" by William Russell
8. "The Purloined Letter" by Edgar Allan Poe
9. "The Hammer of God" by G. K. Chesterton
10. "Who Killed Zebedee" by Wilkie Collins
11. "The Treasure Hunt" by Edgar Wallace
12. "The Shadow of the Shark" by G. K. Chesterton
13. "The Red Headed League" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
14. "The Story of Baelbrow" by E. and H. Heron
15. "The Invisible Man" by G. K. Chesterton
16. "The Perfect Crime" by Seamark
17. "The Wedding Guest" by Guy Boothby
18. "The Trial for Murder" by Charles Dickens
19. "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
20. "The Magic Casket" by R. Austin Freeman
21. "The Last Exploit of Harry the Actor" by Ernest Bramah
22. "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" by Edgar Allan Poe
23. "The Mystery of Marie Roget" by Edgar Allan Poe
24. "To Be Taken in Water" by George Walter Thornbury
Customer ReviewsMost Helpful
By Terri V. on 05-25-15
great stories, wrong narrator
What did you like best about The Great Detective Collection? What did you like least?
Many lovely long stories ruined by the narration. Cathy Dobson seems as though she is constantly trying to sound like a man, and every sentence is painfully drawled out at the end so that it becomes distracting and tortuous to listen to. All the characters sound the same from story to story. I hate leaving a review that is at all negative, and this is just my perspective, but I was really looking forward to listening to this book and it's been difficult.
Did the narration match the pace of the story?
13 of 16 people found this review helpful
Customer ReviewsMost Helpful
By Marsh on 01-26-16
great stories, appalling narration.
these stories are classics, I have read and loved nearly all of them and really wanted something easy to listen to, that I loved.
however, I wish that I had listened to the narration. sorry but Cathy Dobson is awful in narrating these stories. I didn't even finish the first story and wished I had listened to a sample.
it makes theses un listenable
12 of 14 people found this review helpful
By mrsbeast on 03-13-16
If this book wasn’t for you, who do you think might enjoy it more?
I was very disappointed by this collection. I was looking forward to listening to all my favourites but I omitted to listen to the sample clip. The narration is stilted, mannered and extremely irritating. The narrator makes no attempt to differentiate characters and there was no way I could listen to the book all the way through. This is the only time I have ever been disappointed with an Audible choice. Ghastly!
Would you recommend The Great Detective Collection to your friends? Why or why not?
I wouldn't recommend this collection to anyone.
Who might you have cast as narrator instead of Cathy Dobson?
Any one, Stephen Fry would be perfect.
You didn’t love this book--but did it have any redeeming qualities?
Well the actual stories are great but the narration ruined them.
Any additional comments?
11 of 13 people found this review helpful