The Complete Software Developer's Career Guide
- How to Learn Programming Languages Quickly, Ace Your Programming Interview, and Land Your Software Developer Dream Job
- Narrated by: John Sonmez
- Length: 20 hrs and 3 mins
- Unabridged Audiobook
- Release date: 12-21-17
- Language: English
- Publisher: Simple Programmer, LLC
Regular price: $29.95
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for $29.95
Early in his software developer career, John Sonmez discovered that technical knowledge alone isn't enough to break through to the next income level - developers need "soft skills" like the ability to learn new technologies just in time, communicate clearly with management and consulting clients, negotiate a fair hourly rate, and unite teammates and coworkers in working toward a common goal.
What you will learn in this book:
How to systematically find and fill the gaps in your technical knowledge so you can face any new challenge with confidence
Should you take contract work - or hold out for a salaried position? Which will earn you more, what the tradeoffs are, and how your personality should sway your choice
Ever notice how every job ever posted requires "3-5 years of experience," which you don't have? Simple solution for this frustrating chicken-and-egg problem that allows you to build legitimate job experience while you learn to code
Is earning a computer science degree a necessity - or a total waste of time? How to get a college degree with maximum credibility and minimum debt
Coding boot camps - some are great, some are complete scams. How to tell the difference so you don't find yourself cheated out of $10,000
Interviewer tells you, "Dress code is casual around here - the development team wears flipflops." What should you wear?
How do you deal with a boss who's a micromanager. Plus how helping your manager with his goals can make you the MVP of your team
The technical skills that every professional developer must have - but no one teaches you (most developers are missing some critical pieces, they don't teach this stuff in college, you're expected to just "know" this)
Customer ReviewsMost Helpful
By Krzysztof on 01-05-18
Good read for developers of all experience
I've come to almost the same conclusions when it comes to software development and dealing with people. To name a few:
- your first programming language is not that important
- learning next programming languages is way easier than 1st one
- it's worth invensting in yourself (education, clothes, etc.)
- people judge you by the way you dress (whether you like it or not)
- soft skills are really important for software developers
- in order to advance your career you cannot be "quiet"
What I've learnt:
- it's a good idea to become more popular (blogs, podcasts, talks)
- starting realistic, simple project and sticking to it is better than having many complicated ideas that will never get finished
- as a boss/leader you shouldn't be micromanaging employees
What I didn't like:
- I disagree that it's really that important to have CV prepared by professional company
- I'm not sure about making friends with HR before interview and buying them lunch. In company that I work for all the employees had to go through training that was really against such behaviours
- a little bit too much promotion in my opinion. Author was really honest about this in the book, but I still feel that a lot of time was spent on marketing.
To sum up I've really appreciated this book and I sincerely recommend it.
10 of 10 people found this review helpful
By VONZOMBIE on 03-27-18
Excellent! Highly recommended audiobook!
I am a novice programmer, with almost a year of experience in Autonomous Driving Systems Manual Test Engineering/ QA. This audio book is great! The information John provided hit every point; answering a number of questions I had as I plan my learning path in python programming and preparing my career in development. I was even able to use John’s teachings in the operations of my tattoo studio, and project management for my content writing business. I am very entrepreneurial; this book and John’s information filled website helped me fill some holes with many questions answered! I have recommended this book to a number of tech savvy comrades.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful
Customer ReviewsMost Helpful
By Anonymous User on 06-14-18
Just promotes his products
2 hours in and I haven’t learned a thing I didn’t know already. He speaks about using this book as a marketing tool and begs for reviews via email. I will finish this book and will change my review if John deserves it.
By Haydar Al-Rikabi on 06-11-18
A journey that I enjoyed until the end
Great bird view to the software development workspace. At times, I felt like John was talking about me. I definitely found useful tips and guidance in the book.
I also liked the author’s sense of humor which made this large volume a breeze.
I knew John first through YouTube but this book got me to know him better on a personal level. His ideas inspired me to take action and I am really grateful for his efforts.
God bless and thank you.