Regular price: $31.93
Buy Now with 1 Credit
Buy Now for $31.93
Here are the main points of the book.
Fundamental Techniques in Handling People
1. Don't criticize.
2. Give honest and sincere appreciation.
3. Arouse in the other person an eager want.
✦ Six ways to make people like you
1. Become genuinely interested in other people.
3. Remember a person's name.
4. Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
5. Talk in terms of the other person's interests.
6. Make the other person feel important - and do it sincerely.
✦ Win people to your way of thinking
1. The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.
2. Show respect for the other person's opinions. Never say, "You're wrong."
3. If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
4. Begin in a friendly way.
5. Get the other person saying "yes, yes" immediately.
6. Let the other person do a great deal of the talking.
7. Let the other person feel that the idea is his or hers.
8. Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view.
9. Be sympathetic with the other person's ideas and desires.
10. Appeal to the nobler motives.
11. Dramatize your ideas.
12. Throw down a challenge.
✦ Be a Leader
1. Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
2. Call attention to people's mistakes indirectly.
3. Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.
4. Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
5. Let the other person save face.
6. Praise the slightest improvement and praise every improvement.
7. Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
8. Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.
9. Make the other person happy about doing the thing you suggest.
1,789 of 1,824 people found this review helpful
The fact that this book was published in 1936 and is still a top seller today says a lot more than I can manage to convey in this review.
The book is filled with sound practical advice. It is probably the best book ever written on human relations. Anyone and everyone should find it to be a valuable guide, whether in personal, family, or business relationships. Despite the title, which some may consider overly aggressive by todays'standards, the practices discussed in the book are in no way manipulative. To the contrary, this book helps you learn the art and skill of conversation and persuasion through attentiveness to, and consideration of others.
This is not a story that you listen to once and get rid of it. It is a reference manual that you will be able to use and refer to for years to come. I own it in hardback, as well as on cassette (remember those?) so I was excited to see a digital version made available from Audible. I bought it immediately and now look forward to being able to enjoy it again and again on my MP3 player.
388 of 415 people found this review helpful
This is one of those books that you will hear people talking about and this is also one of those books that it took me 30 years to get round to reading. I wish that I had done so earlier. This book has greatly improved my outlook on life and I can handle situations in a far slicker and more helpful way than before. excellent book, I would recommend it to everyone.
17 of 17 people found this review helpful
This book is amazing. It gives you examples of how people have managed different situations successfully and unsuccessfully. It explains the ways to influence people without being false but just being nice. I wish I had listed to this book 20 years ago. I have been captivated. I find myself unconsciously changing my behaviour, what a difference it has made when working with my staff or playing with my children.
71 of 79 people found this review helpful
A must for anyone looking to improve communication techniques and grow as a leader. Yes!!
4 of 4 people found this review helpful
There is a lot of great advice in this book but some of the tactics are manipulative and I feel that most people would see right through them. The main saving grace is that you must be genuine in caring about others, otherwise this book will be a waste of time.
8 of 9 people found this review helpful